24 March 2011

Free early shows rock

Like many other Austinites and touristy folks, I was very eager to listen to some music at SXSW this year. However, my mom is predisposed to hating SXSW purely because of the thousands of visitors that pour into Austin annually. Fortunately, my dad was willing to take me to see a few bands. 

We left the house at 8:00 in the morning, headed for the free KUT-sponsored shows at the fancy Hilton hotel in downtown Austin. When we arrived, we found a small stage surrounded by about thirty cushioned chairs. It was thirty minutes before the first band was scheduled to play, and only three chairs were occupied (Interestingly enough, I found my sixth grade English teacher seated in one of these chairs.) These early shows are obviously not for the people who like to stay out late partying and head-banging to the sound of grinding guitars and crashing drums.

The first performer, singer/songwriter Bobby Long, played at an eye-opening (or maybe eye-closing) 9:00 am. He just released his debut album in February, and is visiting Austin from his current location in NYC.  I really enjoyed Long's music and have been listening to it in various YouTube videos constantly since (I've yet to purchase the album, titled A Winter Tale.). Watching him perform was priceless. Long is very expressive while singing and his guitar-playing was absolutely amazing.

Bobby Long, performing "Dead and Done."

Also, about the videos: I'm a total amateur with video cameras. A) This was probably the first time I've used one. So, I apologize for shakiness and everything else, B) I did not have a tripod, and, being seated in the second row, had to hold my camera above the fat heads of the people in the first row and C) There was a very large speaker blocking part of the stage, so for the next two bands, I was unable to film both band members well. Again, sorry. But hey, at least you can hear the music!

The second band, The Old 97's, was extremely energetic. I enjoyed watching them because the fun they were having while performing traveled from their music to the audience (though we were all tamely seated). I recorded a video of their performance of "Time Bomb," which will hopefully be attached below.

The Old 97's performing "Time Bomb."

Tristen, the third band to perform at the Hilton, was a great finale for the morning music. Though more subdued than the Old 97's (who obviously don't understand the concept of apostrophes not making things plural), Tristen was just as enthralling as Bobby Long. The band recently released its debut album in February as well. It's titled Charlatans at the Garden Gate, and I'll provide a link to the band's website here. Below is a video of Tristen performing "Heart and Hope to Die."

Tristen performing "Heart and Hope to Die."

~ OMO      

1 comment:

  1. This was a really good post!! Reviewing people you saw at SXSW was a cool idea. I also enjoyed the amusing tone of your post.
    -Clyde

    ReplyDelete