24 March 2011

Strangest Children's Books EVER!

I was perusing the musty shelves of Half Price Books about a year ago when I came across a very orange, very weird book that caught my attention. On the cover, were the famed Dick and Jane, but this wasn't just any "See Spot run!" type of book. No, the title was "Yiddish With Dick and Jane".

The book teaches children such important words as "schmooze" "kvetch" and "fress". Watch as Dick schmoozes with his boss! See Dick schmooze. Schmooze, Dick, schmooze! There were clearly lots of drugs and adultery going on in this book, but none of the personality-free characters seemed to notice anything strange around them. Told in a very ironic voice, making it clear that everyone in the story seemed to be brainwashed, this book had me lollin' all day long.


Okay, so it was pretty clear that this "children's" book should not be given to any children, but it made me wonder. What kind of creepy children's books are out there? So, of course I Googled it and came up with THIS LIST and also THIS ONE, which includes such gems as "Who Cares About Disabled People?" and "Cooking with Pooh" (just think about it for a while...yeah.)

Anyway, now I am severely disturbed, so I thought I would share it with you!! You are ever so welcome.

-Clyde

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, my dad has that book. It seems....well, creepy. I think that most of the creepier picture books are attempts to explain the adult world to kids. The creepiness is probably inadvertent....probably....-AS

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is meant to be ironic. It's mainly aimed at Jews like me who actually would get yiddish jokes.

    Wow. I'm suprised there's a childrens book called "Who Cares About Disabled People?".

    -Nathan Weiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is really creepy. However, it's interesting to think about the explanation adults are giving to children about the "real world." Quite interesting.

    -Juumbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahahahh. This is amazing. Makes me wanna go out and buy all of these books (;
    I wonder how these books got published...

    -Nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally a book I would read. I'll have to see if the library has the rest...

    ReplyDelete