29 March 2011

What? New Radiohead album?

Maybe it's old news to some of you that Radiohead released a new album on February 18th. I'm not sure how this could have slipped by, but over a month after its release, I, OMO, finally discovered The King of Limbs. While I listen to the iTunes song previews for this album (because I just bought the new Strokes CD and have no money to spend on another album), I will fill everybody in on some random facts and other information, be it factual or otherwise, regarding Radiohead.

Album art for The King of Limbs

This eight-track album is Radiohead's eighth. Their career as a band was launched in 1992 with the release of the hit song, "Creep". It was recently featured in a movie about the creation of Facebook, called The Social Network. Radiohead has become known for their soul-wrenching, electronic-ish, spacey sound.

Here is a link to their most recent website, if you wish to learn more about them. They seem to make websites on an album to album basis, but this is their current site. And if you want to seem them live, good luck, because they have no tour dates posted, as of today.

As I listen to the previews, I am noticing that the songs sound very reminiscent of past releases. Even so, from the ninety second bits of each song iTunes allows me to access, it seems as though Radiohead has taken some of their best work and melded it together, like a conglomeration of the most stirring, riveting parts of each album. It takes me back to the times when I would constantly listen to this band. I'm not sure what happened and why I stopped following releases of Radiohead so closely, but this album sounds very promising and is pretty much guaranteed to reinstate my love of their music.

Also, for all the Radiohead fans out there, if you did not know, Thom Yorke, who sings for Radiohead, released a solo album (this was a while back) that you should definitely check out if you haven't already. And, another note on websites: Yorke's website for his album, The Eraser, has the most transfixing introductory video. 
Album art for The Eraser

Take a short break from the toils of daily life and expose yourself to the dreamy music of Radiohead. Here is a music video for "Lotus Flower," one of the tracks on the new album. I absolutely love the music video that was paired with it, although I understand why some people think it is silly. The absurdity is what draws me to this video, and to Radiohead in general.


"Lotus Flower"- Radiohead


~ OMO

No comments:

Post a Comment