31 March 2011

So I herd you liek books n stuff

I know. I'm terrible at fake bad-spelling. Don't mock me for my bad fake crap-spelling. (And no, I cannot physically force myself to abbreviate "you"--it's three freaking letters long. Who needs to abbreviate something that is three letters long?!)

Anyway, so, I sort of feel like cheating on this whole blogging thing tonight. Not actually cheating, I s'pose, but cheating in that I am going to be using material written previously.

So there are these things called books, right? And they've got words and things in them. Actually, almost always just words. And I read them. And then I write about them. And then other people read what I wrote about them and sometimes read the actual book. Because I am a book reviewer. This title is rather recent. Well, not really. But I think I'm more of a book reviewer now than I used to be.

Why, IBI? Why is now any different? Do you get PAID?!


No, I don't get paid. But I DO get to request books from my editor, who then mails them to me before they are released solely for the purpose of me writing about them. Which reminds me, I also have an editor. Her name is Ellen. She's pretty shnazzy.

Hopefully whoever you are reading this, you like reading enough to look at a couple books. Because I am Book Reviewer, and thus I am Opinionated and Have Suggested Titles.

For everyone:


I am not even kidding. You ought to read this book. You can tell I am not even kidding because all of the hyperlinks around there go to Amazon and not my own review of the book. It is that good. Also, the only one that will have a picture, as I am lazy.

For people who really, really like British things:

Wonderland by Joanna Nadin. Quick synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Jude wants to get out of her small English town and go to London to study theatre, escaping both her father and the memory of her mother. Of course, she's a little scared for that, but thankfully her childhood friend has returned, spitfire Stella who is everything Jude is not. 

Beginning is a little dry, and the style screams I AM BRITISH MUAHAHAHAHA. It's not bad, but it's not really my taste. The story, though, is fantastic. The end turns everything on its head in a brilliant sort of way that I adore. Four stars. And yeah, that link does go to my proper review.

For people who want something really, really short:

Rose Sees Red by Cecil Castellucci. Set in 1983 while the Cold War rages on, teenaged Rose gives her impression on life via an entertaining story of a couple days in the life with a couple brand-new friends, including Soviet Yrena. 

A quick read, both short and fast-paced. Great characters. Interesting setting, NYC in the midst of the Cold War. Rose cares, but she's not some unapproachable current events buff. The bit about not having any friends at the very beginning is a little shaky, but that's all.  

For those looking for a historical fiction sort of read:

Ophelia by Lisa M. Klein. Basically, it's Hamlet from Ophelia's POV--

Plot of Hamlet in four minutes and two minutes, respectively.





--until then end when it gets a lot better because it's not Hamlet-but-not.

The style is pretty old-fashioned. But still comprehensible, which is a plus.

I think it's better if you haven't read Hamlet. 

But you should also read Hamlet because it is epic. And then watch the three-hour-long Royal Shakespeare Company version from '08.

Well, that's all for now. That looks lengthy enough. 

Literature-ally yours,
IBI

3 comments:

  1. So, how do you feel about the growing number of people who don't really read books anymore? I know that ever since I got a reasonably fast internet I have rarely read books. Probably bad (and probably why I'm bad at English), but reading just feels like a chore... I also feel that our society is moving faster than ever and we never really get a chunk of time to devote to reading. Evident from the book -> blogs -> twitter/ facebook chain (each takes less time to read and is progressively more snap-shot).

    BTW, that hamlet song is great

    Daniel C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not reading books is a BAD THING.

    ...'n stuff.

    (Yes, I do actually have an opinion on this, after reading the articles about Why The Internet Is Bad/Why Reading Is Good/Why We're Not Reading/What Instant Gratification Is Doing To The New Generation whenever I see them, but I'm not going to get into that right now...)

    And yes. Yes it is. The play is better. Because David Tennant. But I do love Fortinbras at the end.

    --IBI

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever synce de intanet came awt, i dun reed de books NEmoor. i lykes de intanetz.

    ahaha. anyways, i actually read the entire harry potter series online.. so.... d:

    -Nat Attack

    ReplyDelete