09 March 2011

So what's happening March 22?

This is going to be my first weekly rambling. This week, it happens to be vaguely related to The Strokes. If I am able, I will attempt to connect the end of my rambling to the beginning, but I may or may not be successful. So, to begin, March 22 is the release date of ANGLES!


Many people believe that the Strokes will be hard-pressed to live up to the legacy left behind by Is This It and Room on Fire, but from various clips I've seen, it appears to possess the same sort of strokiness (The only reason this would be valuable information at all is if anyone doubts the consistency of the band members' identities).



I personally don't think albums should be judged by how much "better" they are compared to previous albums. New albums dabble in bits of the unknown because musicians can't be successful if they continue recycling the vibes of old albums. It would create a stagnant pool of music if musicians tried to make new albums as similar to previously released ones as possible. In an interview with the British magazine, Fashion Music Style, Simon Neil of the Scottish band Biffy Clyro, says "I would rather that [our fans] hated Only Revolutions or Puzzle than we try to re-make an old album," in reference to two of the band's albums.
Photo credit: ClashMusic

A lot of really great albums result from experimenting with new techniques without regard for how fans will react. To wrap up this rambling by talking about the Strokes again, I'll first tell you to check out Julian Casablancas' (the Strokes' vocalist) debut solo album, Phrazes for the Young, because it is ridiculously great.


And second, comment if you saw the Strokes at ACL last year, because though I was there, I'm not really sure what to think about Julian Casablancas, who was wearing sunglasses after the sun set and could not see past the front of the stage..

~ OMO

Also - Here's a video of the single they've already released from the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment