04 April 2011

An April Fool's Update

So, the New York Times did a great roundup of Friday's technopranks, which I definitely recommend everyone to check out (some of my favourites include the Huffington Post's jab at subscription costs from the NYTimes, ThinkGeek's Playmobile Apple Store, and National Public Radio's 3D eye implants). And looking at these is a fair bit of fun, particularly on Friday when they were actually operational and all.

But perhaps just as fun is seeing some of the continuing effects of these little pranks.

For example, the good ol' New York Times (I'm sure later I will rant about how I have FIVE ARTICLES LEFT in my monthly allowance, as of yesterday night--let me remind you, dearest readers, yesterday was the THIRD DAY of April) ran a followup article regarding Google Motion.

Apparently, with just a Microsoft Kinect sensor and a group of college students, one can really have Google Motion!

Of course, they have renamed it, a little more aptly--SLOOW (Software Library Optimized Obligatory Waving).

Now, this can only ever be considered as good as one that honestly, I hope never makes it to the end, for the good of both parties--selling nothing on eBay. It's still for bid, if you've got a bunch of extra cash, on the grounds of around half a million dollars and climbing.

Snickeringly yours,
IBI

No comments:

Post a Comment