25 April 2011

Clyde loves me some summer

However, being a music- and clothes-loving teenager living in the music and clothes paradise that is Austin, I am almost constantly completely broke. This is bad in the summer since I usually, you know, like to actually...do stuff. But, after many summers of exploring, I've learned that there are some things you can do in this city that are fun and free or at least cheap. So...HOW TO PARTY FOR LESS THAN $5!

Karaoke:
Yes. Karaoke. Specifically, Korean karaoke. Basically you get to rent a room for a few hours with your friends and then you can sing as many cheesy, horrid songs as you want. You can bring food and drinks in with you and they don't even get mad at you if you happen to break a lightbulb with your horrible voice. Not that I would know anything about that particular situation, I've just, you know, heard stuff. These places are almost always super-skeezy and my favorite place, New Seoul, has some super sketchy props included in their karaoke rooms, including a mattress and an inexplicable pair of reading glasses.
Cost: $5 a person, an hour

Exploring:
I am creepy. This is a fact that cannot be doubted. Just a disclaimer, if you are not as creepy as me, you may not enjoy this activity as much as me. See, I like to go exploring in those sketchy-looking creeks that are in every neighborhood that I am pretty sure they use for drainage. If you haven't seen these, they're like tiny tunnel-like holes in the ground with rocks and water and plants in them. And, tons of graffiti. They're actually really fun (according to me at least) because I can always find interesting places to climb in them or cool graffiti to photograph or secret little nooks that look kind of jank but fascinating. Of course, if you see anyone else in the creek, you should probably run because they are probably just as creepy as you.
Cost: Free, unless you get mugged.


Movies at Deep Eddy:
So, they set up this huge screen on the opposite side of the pool, and you can watch a movie while sitting on the hill, or even better, drifting on a raft in the pool. These movies are usually for kids, but they're also super fun. You can spend all day in the park or swimming and then laze around and watch a movie in the water. 
Cost: price of admission (~$2)

Burnet Road:
There are tons of places to go on Burnet that are both cheap and delicious, liiiiike Amy's Ice Creams! Or Hey Cupcake! Okay, actually those places are not that cheap, but I like to make an entire day out of it by walking there with my posse (WHICH I COMPLETELY HAVE, SHUT UP!) and taking pictures along the way or riding the bus, which is always exciting. And, if you are super broke, there is this really amazing Mexican bakery on Burnet called Mi Victoria. They have an impressive selection of pastries, cookies, and even breakfast tacos and their stuff is almost all for sale below a dollar. Like, their cookies are ten cents. I have bought two breakfast tacos, a milk, and two quite large pastries for $3.70. You guys. $3.70. I am a broke teenager, these things impress me.
Cost: ~4

So yes. I hope this helped someone...somewhere. I have many more, so if you would like a continuation, please tell me in the comments! Otherwise I will probably end up blogging about, like, How To Be A Good Stalker, or something terrible like that.

PS Besides loving me some summer, I also love me some re-posting because no one ever scrolls down to read. AYYYYYYYYYY.

8 comments:

  1. heheh... I do this stuff a lot (except usually with a friend so that if we meet some gangsta's I can hide behind them).
    Or you could also go to congress and look at stuff....
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some Karaoke. Which, speaking of, WE NEED TO GO AGAIN SOON. This list was very beneficial, thank you for compiling it. However, you forgot to mention stalking. Which is also free. Most of the time.

    :Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice view of many different locations in Austin. Nice information provided. At least I'm assuming that is what you wrote because i don't have the time to actually read this. I have to comment on three you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is really interesting to hear about these places -Estefani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mi Victorias is delicious.

    Bag of 20 churros for like 2 bucks.

    Score.

    -polohas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deep Eddy's gets REALLY cold at night, which is nice if you're sunburned XD
    Now excuse me while I go con I mean convince someone into going karaoking (karaokeing?) with me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, guys!! We need to have a giant karaoke party sometime...YEAHBOI.

    ReplyDelete